Create an account  

best capping ship

Was wondering ehich ship people thought was best over all for capping ships?

For capping you need to look at two things first the amount of troopers it can hold and then the transporter capacity.

Here is a basic list of ships and where to find them http://www.starpointgemini.com/forum/sho...php?tid=36

First off for capping ships you want to take down an enemies shields (i find taking down all sides leads to less losses) and then 1/3 to 1/2 of the enemy ship hull hp. Look into getting an officer that increases trooper strength and the 3 ranks as well.

Overall the Tzar carrier is the best cap ship because it has 200 crew but for each class:

Corvette:Wolverine (50 troopers which makes it better then almost all frigates for capping but be careful it is very easy to die)
FrigateTonguehiladelphia (60 troopers)
Destroyer:Sichuan (75 troopers)
Cruiser: Saratoga (90 troopers, once you get to around 100 troopers and use the proper boarding techniques you can pretty much cap anything. With the Saratoga i have managed to cap everything but the Tzar and even then i got the Tzar down to less then 40 crew and after a quick station refill i capped it)

my vote is the Saratogo 90 troops is very nice and there is more to this ship it boasts a very good frontal coverage from the turrets you can have front and both sides firing on a target also has nice heavy weapon load out, good speed,shields and handles like a gunship with the right officers and enhancements.

Saratogo feels like a better ship to fly then the dread and carrier i capped the other day i think a Jupiter and Equinox these both handle like tanks and weapon coverage sucks vs the Saratogo.

"and after a quick station refill i capped it" = cheat, because with your start ship (with 30 troopers) you can cap in first 5 min some 100 troopers ship near the start station (where are for sale 100 troopers)! after 10 min more you can cap a blue Tzar and GAME OVER

There are a couple exploits now, but plan is to eliminate them in time. Ofcourse, it will always be possible to find something but we have to remove at least obvious ones. Meanwhile, enjoy while it lasts Smile

(05-19-2014, 04:35 PM)Groparu Wrote: "and after a quick station refill i capped it" = cheat, because with your start ship (with 30 troopers) you can cap in first 5 min some 100 troopers ship near the start station (where are for sale 100 troopers)! after 10 min more you can cap a blue Tzar and GAME OVER

I know this is a bit old post, but you are not right. Starting ship may have 30 troops and Trinity 100 troops available. However you cannot cap a 100 troop ship. Your troops are weak and will die fast. Not to mention you cannot transport more of them. Oh and did I mention how a 100 troop ship will decimate your 30 troop gunship in seconds while you are trying to capture it ? Add the friendly ships around the planet / station that will shoot at the 'enemy' and may destroy it before you manage to cap it.

I did manage to cap two Zurias with a Philly, however consider myself lucky to do that. Had to PTE to 3 stations in a row to refill troops and thank god no one found the damaged Zurias to destroy them while I was away.
We cannot solve our problems with the same level of thinking, that created them
[Image: 76561198048478101.png]

(10-09-2014, 05:20 PM)satanatos Wrote:
(05-19-2014, 04:35 PM)Groparu Wrote: "and after a quick station refill i capped it" = cheat, because with your start ship (with 30 troopers) you can cap in first 5 min some 100 troopers ship near the start station (where are for sale 100 troopers)! after 10 min more you can cap a blue Tzar and GAME OVER

I know this is a bit old post, but you are not right. Starting ship may have 30 troops and Trinity 100 troops available. However you cannot cap a 100 troop ship. Your troops are weak and will die fast. Not to mention you cannot transport more of them. Oh and did I mention how a 100 troop ship will decimate your 30 troop gunship in seconds while you are trying to capture it ? Add the friendly ships around the planet / station that will shoot at the 'enemy' and may destroy it before you manage to cap it.

I did manage to cap two Zurias with a Philly, however consider myself lucky to do that. Had to PTE to 3 stations in a row to refill troops and thank god no one found the damaged Zurias to destroy them while I was away.

There are several ways to help cap larger ships very early on.

One of the officers that improves your troop strength/transporter capacity is on Trinity, and another is nearby; I forget which station near Trinity.

You can increase your transport capacity early.

If you play an Engineer, you can purchase a debuff that reduces enemy troop strength as a perk.

And as long as you waylay a ship near a station, you can easily be running out ~15+ troops per wave, land and replenish, launch, and continue capping. I find it easy to capture vessels of up to lightly staffed battleships with a properly set up capping setup.

With the amount of troops in immediate proximity to Trinity, (100 + 50 at Vigo) you could theoretically cap a battleship or dreadnought with the right combination of officers, upgrades, and daring. And of course, using an exploit. It's not really a cheat, landing refilling launching and capping, but it definitely feels like an exploit.

(05-15-2014, 12:21 PM)VikingDream Wrote: my vote is the Saratogo 90 troops is very nice and there is more to this ship it boasts a very good frontal coverage from the turrets you can have front and both sides firing on a target also has nice heavy weapon load out, good speed,shields and handles like a gunship with the right officers and enhancements.

Saratogo feels like a better ship to fly then the dread and carrier i capped the other day i think a Jupiter and Equinox these both handle like tanks and weapon coverage sucks vs the Saratogo.

I am really liking the Saratoga. Aside from the Fighter Wing, you can dish out some serious punishment, and I got both the overkill and the one for killing 3 ships under 15 seconds with it.

The troop capacity is very nice, and with both strength and capacity upgrades on the troopers, it makes for a nasty boarding surprise as well.
[Image: 1FeOcDV.png]

Inciter Mk2 is also a good Cruiser for boarding, it has 85 troops which is slightly less than the Saratoga, but a whopping 5 forward guns with decent battery energy and recharge. It works great as a hit and run style ship or even a close combat ship with maneuverability enhancement on your engines, and is also tough enough to stick around and take hits while you board something bigger.

(10-11-2014, 02:43 AM)Talien Wrote: Inciter Mk2 is also a good Cruiser for boarding, it has 85 troops which is slightly less than the Saratoga, but a whopping 5 forward guns with decent battery energy and recharge. It works great as a hit and run style ship or even a close combat ship with maneuverability enhancement on your engines, and is also tough enough to stick around and take hits while you board something bigger.

80, but close enough.

All this talk about the Saratoga is making me want to try it out. I'd also like to try out the Hydra but every time I get to the Cruiser stage, I wind up in a Destroyer by the time I find one to cap. I may have to break down and actually buy the damned things just to test.