Create an account  

Bigger the ship the weaker I feel.

This is a bit of a size Vs firepower situation. The bigger the ship the weaker its one hit punch feels. Yes some of this is mitigated by adding more turrets but each individual turret's damage remains the same. The sustained damage per second is better but the battery recharge after full depletion is worse.

What I am saying is that there is no real DPS advantage over using a massive dreadnaught compared to a cruiser (or gunship). Yes the dreadnaught has better sustained DPS.
I remember in other space sim games when I go up against a larger ship with a smaller one my victory relied on me not getting hit because one hit would mean my defenses would be severely compromised at best, or most likely my craft would be destroyed.

I would like to know if this is going to be addressed and if so how.

Personal thought
Personally I liked the Starpoint Gemini 1 way of dealing with ships dealing damage for their size. Simply put large cannons limited to large ships. OR if the current weapon system is going to be stressed then add damage multipliers to the ships.

Damage outputs do need to be adjusted, and lot of it will be done during balancing. And balancing (which is now in really raw condition), will start as soon as all combat elements are in place. Hope this helps. Thanks for reporting!

(05-29-2014, 12:05 PM)MarioMihokovic Wrote: Damage outputs do need to be adjusted, and lot of it will be done during balancing. And balancing (which is now in really raw condition), will start as soon as all combat elements are in place. Hope this helps. Thanks for reporting!

I agree there is still a bit of lack of dps from the larger ships. Im wondering if my frigate would do better than my carrier. It seems that also when outfitting there is light weapons and heavy are we going to see mediums? I saw a nice googlespreadsheet on the carriers and stuff how about the loadouts? I think ryouchan had that thread was all ships current pertinent stats. How about large weapons on large ships that dont need me to (fire a missile off). Thanks in advance.

I agree, there does seem to be a deadzone, gunships weave around everywhere avoiding everything, anything in between can't weave, doesn't have enough shield strength, hp, or dps to take on larger ships then, dreadnoughts and carriers

Imho*
[Image: 43503.png]
drop an internet if you're cool, drop one if you aren't, on the internet nobody knows you're a turtle... NOBODY. +Rep's are much appreciated Angel

It's all about rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. A battleship should be outmaneuvered by gunships/frigs, a destroyer shouldn't have the firepower to take down a carrier and so on.

(09-07-2014, 11:45 AM)Chloe Thenab Wrote: It's all about rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. A battleship should be outmaneuvered by gunships/frigs, a destroyer shouldn't have the firepower to take down a carrier and so on.

Agreed.
[Image: 12020.png]

(09-07-2014, 11:45 AM)Chloe Thenab Wrote: It's all about rock-paper-scissors-lizard-Spock. A battleship should be outmaneuvered by gunships/frigs, a destroyer shouldn't have the firepower to take down a carrier and so on.

Notable exception: hero units.

True. Good point Smile

Agreed, heros should be the exeption from the rule, but not the average Joe Sixpack pirate.

While i agree that larger ships don't feel like the scale in terms of weapons I think the real problem is the lack of weapon sizes. The reason I see this as a problem is for sure you get more turret numbers on larger ships but the weapons them self are basically the same.

Now i've been thinking about this and i'd like to throw my 2 cents at this, keeping it simple have 3 weapons sizes that scale for different size ship hulls/ mount sizes, place a maximum limit on the sizes that ships can use, and then balance lol.

For example small, medium and large weapon mounts, smaller ships would be limited to using only small weapons medium size ships could use small and medium sizes and large ships could use yes you guessed it all 3 sizes.

Now to balance them.... you need to balance ships hulls and weapon sizes for it to work well.

Small weapons should draw low amounts of power and do the lowest amount of damage but should all so have the highest rate of fire and projectile speeds so they rarely miss. You could use these on medium or larger ships for anti gunship/corvette duties but they would be lacking in fore power to really hurt other medium and large ships.

Medium weapons could have a slower fire rate and projectile speed then small weapons but should be able to hit gunship and corvette size ships with around 50% of the projectiles fired. They should pack more damage then small weapons and be power full enough to be a real danger to small and medium size ships, these should be able to take on large ships but the fights should take a very long time and only with a skilled pilot should they be a really danger to larger ships.

Large weapon mounts should only be viable on large hulls but they should be able to mount all 3 size weapons they could use small and medium weapons in sustained fire rolls for anti gunship/corvette duties. Large weapons should do the most damage but also be the least accurate they should have a very low hit chance on small fast moving ships due to low fire rates and slow projectile speeds. To make up this downside they should really pack a punch and be the best weapons for dealing with medium ship sizes and the those other large ships.

There are many other things you could do with weapon mount sizes like have carries unable to mount large weapons and then they would be less of a threat to other large ships and would need to let there bombers/fighters do the work. You could also have special small/medium craft that could say mount a forward facing medium or large weapon but have very limited side and rear cover to make up it.

On the whole I like how the game is balanced, this idea could offer some improvements and more depth to the game. But adding mount sizes and limitations to ship hulls and balancing all the hulls and weapon sizes at this stage would most probably be a really big ask and would be best suited for SPG3 Wink
i7 6700k @4.4ghz 32GB DDR4 2x EVGA GTX 1080 FTW Asus z170 pro gaming MB