Create an account  

KIND REQUEST BY DEV TEAM

You know I really respect this viewpoint. I mean, we all know some people are going to pirate a game, but instead of complaining about lost revenue or how people have stolen what you worked hard on you instead point out how it causes problems with development when they give bug reports for outdated versions and suggest they find a more current version to play, and even hope they enjoy it while they're at it.

I'll admit it, originally I torrented a beta version of SPG2 because I was honestly on the fence about whether it was something I wanted to spend money on or not since I haven't played a decent 3d space sim with freeroam elements since Freelancer. Everything else I've tried since has fallen short of my expectations and if I hadn't downloaded a copy of SPG2 I most likely would not have bought it because to me gameplay videos are a far cry from firsthand experience with a game, but I played it for a couple days then uninstalled the game and deleted the torrent file because I decided I liked it enough to spend money, then bought it on early access through steam and have not once regretted it or wished I'd saved my money for something else.

So hats off to the LGM team, you guys are awesome and so are your games.

Truth be told, I have had several pirated games that I ended up buying. I live on a fixed income and can't always afford the price and since I can't get out as much as I would like, I'm left with few options. I can also name three of those same games that I wouldn't normally have given a second thought to buying otherwise. When you have so few options, you have to be critical of your selections.

Having said that, I would never contact the community or the devs of a game I didn't buy for support. What a morally bankrupt thing to do. If I had trouble, I would do a few searches or see if any new patches were released but that would be as far as I would go. If I still couldn't find a solution, I would either ditch the game in question or set it aside for a later full purchase.

(Edit: for clarification, my copy of SPG2 is legit and on my Steam acct. LOL. I thought I'd best add that to this post.)

Sending Transmission...

Your account's been hacked for 34.99 credits.
This is restitution for illegally downloading copyrighted software.
If you believe this has been done in error, please contact support with your receipt details.

End Transmission.
[Image: SPG2_Banner5_S_zps82519f57.png]
This ship is protected by Zen philosophy!

Just registered to say kudos for having a very healthy attitude towards pirating.

And seriously. People are so cheeky they expect support on a game they pirated? Tongue

Ha ha, lol Damn overfed kids with cheap food, playing pirates and being pirates is 2 différent things.
Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaace!!!!!

Despite the issues I have currently getting this game to work properly, people need to learn to put 2 and 2 together and understand that in the long term this just up's the prices overall and jeopardizes the industry.

Unbelievable... $34.99 on steam (no tax). That is a measly four visits to Chipotle and ordering a chicken bowl!!!

This game provides endless hours of enjoyment. These devs have probably had countless sleepless nights.

I appreciate the Dev teams tolerance level, but I say change up the code with each Steam update to force a check on valid ownership based on the account. If it fails - do not update and automatically report to steam. But that's just me.

My first post btw... a happy new steam owner of this awesome title.

- MM

Welcome majormulligan! Thanks for sharing your views on this subject. I admit that starting our own development studio opened my eyes and made me look at piracy issue from a very different perspective. Still, one of reasons gaming exists is to provide people with good time and fun, and if someone cannot afford to buy game, or doesn't think it is worth the price tag, we're still content if they find enjoyment in what we tried to create. Our only problem is that we have very few people in team and we owe good and fast support to people that did afford the game. Attempts to "fix" pirated and outdated version sre doomed to fail anyways, but it steals valuable time from us...

I thought about posting here for a long time and finally thought I'd pitch in my encouragement aswell and thank the development team for an incredible product and the astounding amount of customer support and tech help for people in need of the assistance. I wish the team the very best and can promise I'll be among the first to purchase any and all expansions/DLC you will be adding to the game. Thank you, again, for an amazing product.

More into piracy:
Piracy is an issue and whether or not people accept this, the fact remains that the jobs of the people working in these industries(gaming/software/movie/music etc.) rely on the income. If there is no income, there are no jobs. I can understand "piracy" in certain sense and one factor many don't even know or realize is that downloading the content is completely legal.(Atleast where I live. This may vary regionally/country-to-country.) It's the sharing part which is illegal and, currently, about 99% of all of these "service providers" rely on p2p transfer, which means the people doing this are guilty of a crime.

This does bring up several problems with legislation though, which is why I'd rather not get into too deep of a discussion about it, but think of it this way: You go and steal an album from a store. You get charged with shoplifting and end up getting a slap on the wrists and a fine.(In most cases.) You go and "pirate" a song from the internet and it's a completely different ballpark. Depending on where you live, you might end up being sued for tens if not hundreds of thousands and end up in jail, for effectively the same crime.(Assuming you're not a "seeder", you'll probably at maximum upload enough data to cover a second piece of the song/album. Meaning it'd be the equivalent of stealing two albums at maximum.) Then there are ofcourse, the countries where there is no "international copyright" law, which brings up its own set of problems.

Regardless of anyones personal views on the subject, piracy is an issue, it is a problem, but so is the legislation surrounding it. In the end, I do believe piracy has its merits and advantages for people who aren't offered the content or service, such as some specific region only releases, but the disadvantages and abundant misuse of this "power" clearly outweigh any and all benefits the system has. Anyone pirating a service of any kind that can be acquired legally, is a thief and should be prosecuted as such to the fullest extent of the law, but the laws should be equal with thefts of the same scale, which they aren't and unfortunately, due to corporate lobbying, will probably never be.

Edit:Fixed a typo.
Immi viros, rios, tovtias-rii.
[Image: 76561198065610609.png]

(10-07-2014, 02:39 PM)MarioMihokovic Wrote: Welcome majormulligan! Thanks for sharing your views on this subject. I admit that starting our own development studio opened my eyes and made me look at piracy issue from a very different perspective. Still, one of reasons gaming exists is to provide people with good time and fun, and if someone cannot afford to buy game, or doesn't think it is worth the price tag, we're still content if they find enjoyment in what we tried to create. Our only problem is that we have very few people in team and we owe good and fast support to people that did afford the game. Attempts to "fix" pirated and outdated version sre doomed to fail anyways, but it steals valuable time from us...

Glad to be aboard Mario!

I truly admire the entire development team for this title. I have only been playing for a handful of days now - perhaps 4 or 5. Yet everything I read and see is positive by this group of dedicated people. The way I see it is that they have a vision and are passionate about their product. There is a wonderful sense of care and appreciation for the players and their experience. You cannot say enough about this fact.

Each time I go into the game, I have a separate instance of Word open where I am making notes for potential suggestions for enhancing the game. I know at this stage in development these items are likely not very high on the to-do list, however I do know that when I submit these suggestions or what have you, the dev team will review them seriously and consider them. I cannot say this about many of the gigantic corporate publishers out there. I respect this very much.

Great job folks and know that when I do submit suggestions/concerns/etc. They are meant to improve the title and not meant to whine or complain. Yet I somehow believe you’ll already know this. Wink

- MM