Create an account  

Basic Weapons comparisons

Just some back-of-an-envelope calculations on a few common weapons found around Trinity planet. New captains might find it helpful. Compared by pairs of somewhat similar items.

Damage per Second (DPS) = Average Shot * Shots per second (or reciprocal of tooltip ROF number)
Efficiency = DPS / Energy Cost

Here's a high performance duo first-

Ripper:
DPS= 160
Efficiency= 145
Range= 860

Plasmatic:
DPS= 160
Efficiency= 37
Range= 850

Although the range is comparable, and the DPS is identical, these 2 are VERY different. Power drain on the Plasmatic is very heavy, and the single projectile/second is slow and prone to miss. If we are trying to finesse down a tiny hull at the start of the game without overkilling the little ships, to capture them, the Plasmatic is a bad choice. It's still very solid for getting things dead fast from afar.

The Ripper has amazingly good efficiency. Overall it looks to be one of the best weapons.

Here's a pair of beam weapons-

KNS II ( default starter weapon) :
DPS = 60
Efficiency = 46.15
Range = 450

Tesla III:
DPS = 60
Efficiency = 66
Range = 450

One of the first upgrades to try out is shifting to a higher efficiency weapon ( the Tesla here) with a lower power drain. This allows us to divert a bit more power to shields, and keep the same offense. Although the beam weapons have low DPS on paper, they seldom miss because of projectile lag, and perform comparably to better DPS scorers in practice- especially in autofire situations.

One more:

Pilum:
DPS = 116.67
Efficiency = 53
Range = 660

A compromise weapon, having an intermediate ROF of 0.6, a decent range, and a not-too-terrible efficiency. Might be a good pick for a ship with a heavier power supply.

All of these are easy to come by from scavenging wrecks, or capturing enemy gunships.

Thanks Robin this is great info - exactly what I was looking for!

Beam weapons suck

I had Tesla III installed on the starting ship and stumbled across a level 20 hero... after a epic 30 min battle I FINALLY took down his shields and hull.

With the plasmatic III the same fight took me about 15 seconds...

The damage of beam weapons even from Hero ships seem to do no damage to my ship either...

The problem is from what I can tell they made beam weapons constant fire... rather then something from like startrek where it pulsed.
Which means they ran into the problem every single game in history with constant shooting beam weapons ran into... balance.
How do you make a instantly hitting weapon that cant be dodged and can fire constantly balanced?
You cant...
So they had to make them weak...

I wish at least ONE game developer would take what was used in Freespace 2 and apply it to beam weapons...

Both makes them AWESOME and BALANCED.

1.Fire Delay
Beam needs to charge, not only does a suitable awesome charging sound make them feel PUNCHY and POWERFUL it stops instant shooting.

2.Beam Sweeps
Beam fires across two points that intersect where the target was when the guns started to fire(this makes smaller targets take less damage and larger ships take more)
A explanation for this is simple.. the beams blind the targeting sensors on the ship that fires them so they cant track while shooting.

End Result is a beam weapon that feels like a beam weapon, feels powerful, can still be dodged.

Star Wolves has pulsing beam weapons. But they get so strong at the late game that you dont have to care about victory Big Grin

Just saying that Robin had the basics correct, but he was using the average damages shown inside the game, rather than the actual avg. dmg. per shot values, which you need to check and calculate manually from the LightWeapons.wdt file. The "real" "theoretical" DPS and DPE values for Rippers f.ex. are:
Ripper I = DPS [(24 + 48) / 2] / 0,3 = 36 / 0,3 = 120
Ripper II = DPS [(48 + 72) / 2] / 0,3 = 60 / 0,3 = 200
Ripper III = DPS [(78 + 108) / 2] / 0,3 = 93 / 0,3 = 310
DPE values:
Ripper I = DPE [(24 + 48) / 2] / 1,1 = 36 / 1,1 = 32,72727272....
Ripper II = DPE [(48 + 72) / 2] / 1,3 = 60 / 1,3 = 46,1538461....
Ripper III = DPE [(78 + 108) / 2] / 1,5 = 93 / 1,5 = 62

The mistake with calculating the DPS/DPE values etc. higher than they actually are, is quite common as a lot of people use the "faulty" in-game avg. damage shown, rather than the real one which, like said, you need to calculate manually from the LightWeapons.wdt file.

Edit: Also just to clarify things further: The DPS/DPE values people also usually calculate are the hull damage averages, not shield damage as shield damage has a hidden multiplier not shown in-game. Here's the same math in full for shield damage, using Rippers again as the example. They have a 0,45 modifier against shields which means they only deal 45% of their full damage against shields.(If I was lazy, I could just multiply the previous end results straight off with the shield damage multiplier. I'm not lazy though.):
Ripper I = DPS vs. Shields {[(24 + 48) / 2] * 0,45} / 0,3 = (36 * 0,45) / 0,3 = 60
Ripper II = DPS vs. Shields {[(48 + 72) / 2] * 0,45} / 0,3 = (60 * 0,45) / 0,3 = 90
Ripper III = DPS vs. Shields {[(78 + 108) / 2] * 0,45} / 0,3 = (93 * 0,45) / 0,3 = 139,5
DPE values:
Ripper I = DPE vs. Shields {[(24 + 48) / 2] * 0,45} / 1,1 = (36 * 0,45) / 1,1 = 14,72727272....
Ripper II = DPE vs. Shields {[(48 + 72) / 2] * 0,45} / 1,3 = (60 * 0,45) / 1,3 = 20,76923076....
Ripper III = DPE vs. Shields {[(78 + 108) / 2] * 0,45} / 1,5 = (93 * 0,45) / 1,5 = 27,9
Immi viros, rios, tovtias-rii.
[Image: 76561198065610609.png]

Whats the most powerful Beam weapon (not counting blueprint)?

IIRC: Warlock III.
Immi viros, rios, tovtias-rii.
[Image: 76561198065610609.png]

The mistake with calculating the DPS/DPE values etc.

Servicing Stop