Create an account  

2D/3D CHATTERBOX

Hello folks!

Let me first introduce myself, I'm Tomislav from LGM team, Graphics department in a way. Smile I've been browsing the forum for last 2 weeks, and feel it's time to officially join in on the discussion board. Smile

Note that there's a lotta work to be done in graphics department, but will try to do my best to answer all the questions you folk throw at me ASAP.

Looking forward to chatting with fellows artists. So folks, let's KICK IT! Smile

This is perfect since i have a few questions for you guys Smile

1. The .dds files with effects, do they work as a sequence, the first "part" of the image then the second and so on in rapid succesion to achieve a moving image? if so, could i maybe make my own effects and save it as a .dds then use it in the game?

2. Texture resolution, how high can i go? Tongue

3. Ship models, should the polygons be all tris or quads? Does it matter?

4. Changing the look of the UI(not how it works), can that be done by simply changing the .dds files?

I will probably have more questions for you later on Tongue But thanks for taking the time to look through this!
"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
- Shakespeare
[Image: 76561198061156039.png]

Cool, so let's go over the list:

1. Yes. They work as a sequence. For example, if you have 12 dds images in order to display a movie, save them in a folder and later on just write in the paths of each dds in the order you wish it to play. On howto just check one of the existing ones Smile

2.Texture resolutions - 1024 is our standard, there really is no need to go higher, especially since there's a lot of other ways you can "optimize" the usage of the texture, such as playing more with your UV (tiling the pieces and such) or you can combine more models into one asb (that's an assembly). For example you can check the Saratoga vessel which is made combining 2 mdl files into one asb (the center part is a different mdl and we needed it as another model in order to rotate this part)

3. As in all low poly, trices are best in ways of optimizing your mesh, but since we use the X file, it is exported as trices anyways, so there shouldn't be much problem here.

4.UI - yes, that is doable, if you change the texture and watch the "buttons" masks it should work like a charm Smile For more detailed changes, you should look for the scripting part.

Our ships have an average polycount of 15 000 trices, though the engine can chew more since it's streamed, and when model is saved it's compressed as a binary file in our material editor.

Hope this helps you out Smile

Awesome!
Thank you so much for answering my questions, it will help me out alot Smile
"He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man"
- Shakespeare

I've got a somewhat noobish question. What 3D program should I use for building my own ships?
I spent many hours with Lightwave 3D (many years ago) creating all the cool ships in Babylon 5. (Yes. THAT long ago) Big Grin
I had to learn how to use it on my own since there was no tutorials back then, but I kind of liked it. I never liked 3DS on the other hand...
Watercooled i7 2600K@4.5 GHz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 - Asus P8Z77-V - 16Gb 1600 MHz RAM - Philips BDM4065UC [3840x2160] - SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD - Win7 64bit PRO

Hey, Babylon 5 feels like yesterday Big Grin That show kicked some serious ass Big Grin hehehe

Anyhoo, I'd mostly recommend Max, it's somewhat a game industry standard and has a bunch of tutorials regarding low poly modeling, unlike THAT long ago Wink, and has a lot of plugins-backup, and Modo since from what I've seen, that's a powerful tool really, growing up insanely fast. Depends also on your finances, and which one really "feels" good, I've seen folks modeling in Lightwave, looked like a timelapse video Big Grin Nuff said I believe Smile

That's what I liked about Lightwave. Slow and easy. I already knew exactly what I wanted to model.
3DS is more of an artists tool. Lets throw an idea into it and have a look ... Nope? Well, lets try this then...It's got "Studio" written into it for a reason Smile
I've been looking into Blender a bit and I might give it a try. I dont really need a lot of tools, just a way to get my design into an object to begin with.
Watercooled i7 2600K@4.5 GHz - 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 - Asus P8Z77-V - 16Gb 1600 MHz RAM - Philips BDM4065UC [3840x2160] - SoundBlaster X-Fi Titanium HD - Win7 64bit PRO

I am using Blender for my models, its easy to use and there are lots of tutorials and lots of great tools that aid in modelling yoour ships.

Blender also comes with a .x exporter built in, so that makes it easier to mod SPG2 Tongue No need to find a good converter Smile
- Shakespeare

Well, yeah, the best thing about modelling in my opinion is the fact you need practically 6-7 basic tools and you can model almost anything, more advanced 'n' cooler features are all about speeding up the process.. On that notion, if someone finds or makes a cool tutorial that can help the others, feel free to stick the links somewhere on the modding subforum, don't think anyone is going to mind Smile

Hey Tomislav,

I've got a question regarding the import/export of models into the assembly and material editor.

Trying to import an .x file, and all I get is a crash on the import.

So I was thinking it might be some parameter that i'm missing in my export from 3ds max, could you take a look at the attached screenshot and tell me what it is i'm missing?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)