Create an account  

Hard Core game play style

I wouldn't want it to be, "You're dead, you failed, start again."

But maybe, "You barely escaped and made it to a station in an escape pod. Here's a crappy corvette from the Faction that loves you most."

(03-28-2014, 08:35 AM)Phlintlock Wrote: har....hard....hardcore mode!!!! Ohhh hell yes, Where do I sign the life waiver gimmi gimmi gimmi!.

If your looking for a bit of inspiration to play hardcore check out the song - Iron Man Mode, by Dan Bull.

Kind Regards,
Phlintlock.

Love the song and aye, Iron Man mode, the mode those of us who play Table Top RPGs have been playing in since the 70's Tongue

For video games though... Not so much for me. Too many distractions from real life to play without saves. (Iron Man style I'd never have beaten F.E.A.R, The Thing, or any of the Resident Evil series.)

Although really that's just because I get bored doing the exact same thing repeatedly, it just goes from fun to a grind.

I enjoy seeing it as an option in games however since it gives those who like it the choice, when it's forced however I'm less tolerant. Wink
[Image: sig3.jpg]

Phalnax and Silveressa have the right of it -

Losing our primary ship in a fight (with all its elite gear) and being jettisoned to the nearest station in an escape pod would be a huge financial hit and suffices for a "punishment for death" for most players.

In fact, if there was no Ship Insurance or the like, it would end the career of a noob!

Silveressa rightly points out that, for most of us who flee our daily lives and find solace in games, the "Do Over" factor of Hard Core Mode is a grind.

However, I wouldn't want to deny the masochists their fun...

ya this would be epic, would enjoy immensely auto save when any thing happens is the best way to do this imo

Hmm kind of like the dead is dead mod for X3 TC ? you can only save when exiting the game but if you die then it's game over or the hardcore mode in Diablo once you die there is no respawn also with ship ranks turned on would make it very interesting.

Now for a game mode like this it would be nice to see stats if you die like how long you lived how much money you made how many ships killed ect, also might be nice to have stats when your not dead and have the option to retire a play through and get like scenario of how the rest of there life played out depending on in game actions a bit like in Sid mires pirates.

(11-20-2013, 05:05 PM)MarioMihokovic Wrote: How refreshing to see people craving for this mode in today's world, where non-existing dying is becoming a standard

Real gamers want challenges, not on-rails checkpointed nonsense that puts no penalty on failure. Without a challenge, there is no game, there is only an interactive cutscene. This is the big reason indie games succeed, in my opinion, and this is the ultimate example of how corrupted the game industry has become with double standards and strange, marketing-based decisions.

I always compare those on-rails titles to random hollywood action movies - there is no content, there are a lot of flashy CGI effects, and lots of dialogue that has no real meaning to it. Great stuff for everyone who wants to sit back, do nothing and eat popcorn. Somehow, somewhere along the road of gaming, people decided they also want to eat popcorn with a gamepad in hand. Are you really a gamer then, or just someone who likes a movie they can influence left and right?

I have to say I totally agree Vayra. Totally agree. If the game doesn't make you insane and you're not forced to use all your knowledge and reflexes to win the day...it's not that fun anyways...

(07-22-2014, 08:54 PM)Vayra Wrote:
(11-20-2013, 05:05 PM)MarioMihokovic Wrote: How refreshing to see people craving for this mode in today's world, where non-existing dying is becoming a standard

Real gamers want challenges, not on-rails checkpointed nonsense that puts no penalty on failure. Without a challenge, there is no game, there is only an interactive cutscene. This is the big reason indie games succeed, in my opinion, and this is the ultimate example of how corrupted the game industry has become with double standards and strange, marketing-based decisions.

I always compare those on-rails titles to random hollywood action movies - there is no content, there are a lot of flashy CGI effects, and lots of dialogue that has no real meaning to it. Great stuff for everyone who wants to sit back, do nothing and eat popcorn. Somehow, somewhere along the road of gaming, people decided they also want to eat popcorn with a gamepad in hand. Are you really a gamer then, or just someone who likes a movie they can influence left and right?

I absolutely love this! Its true, too many people today don't want a challenge, I myself live by challenges, not what others may deem worthy to impose on others, but ones I set for myself.

Gaming indeed since the invent of the cut scene, has been spiraling towards the feeling that that's whats important. In a game that is indeed variable enough to allow it, the difficulty of that game should be rounded enough to encompass all players needs. If you like eating popcorn and playing ok, here you go, if you enjoy a hardcore challenge that should be available as well.

IMHO this makes or breaks a game, I enjoy a challenge, I enjoy being tested, I enjoy losing myself in what I am doing. As far as others go that's up to them, atleast it should be, and vice versa.

So far with his latest patch I feel great excitement, it's challenging enough without feeling too much so, I've run in gunships, destroyers, heck I went through half a dozen levels in a Pegasus and did just fine.

To remove the challenge I think would be a great disservice to the player, have more than just easy, medium, and hard, would be a nice addition, really love the idea of hardcore mode as that's kinda what I am doing now, I die, I restart, FUN FUN FUN till the badies take my starship away.
"Space is disease and danger, wrapped in cold and silence" - McCoy Enterprise.

Since our view is similar, we'll try to make at least one difficulty setting that will make you seriously sweat Smile

I find myself looking forward to this (optional) difficulty level as well, especially if it comes with some steam achievements, or other unlocks to give you a sense of accomplishment that you are "just that damn good."

A way to compare your play through to your previous ones is a must, since half of the fun with hard core styles is trying to beat your own record of excellence just as much as seeing how you stack up against others abilities.

Playing regular for me is preferable, (like I said before redoing the same thing gets old to me fast,) but when I'm int he mood for a challenge it's nice to have it available especially if the challenge has some variety to it. Being able to choose from different heroes to play as for the challenge (the ones from the hero contest perhaps?) would add a nice level of depth to the hard core mode, and give enough variety even those that aren't really into it will likely give it a few tries.
[Image: sig3.jpg]